SVN timing again

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Apr 11 06:41:53 BST 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:44:51PM +0100, Richard Moore wrote:
> 1. We will reach a point where we can easily and sensibly branch so we
> can begin doing stuff with Qt 4.

i don't see this being a real problem.

if we switched now:
qt4-unrelated: commit / create diffs for uncommited stuff
-------
svn co kde
qt4-unrelated: re-apply diffs
cp -a kde kde4; cd kde4; svn switch <kde4-port> (minimal bandwidth)
start qt4 work, continue usual work

if we switch later:
cp -a kde kde4; cd kde4; cvs up -r <kde4-port> (minimal bandwidth)
start qt4 work
commit rest / create diffs
-------
svn co kde
cp -a kde kde4; cd kde4; svn switch <kde4-port> (some bandwidth)
re-apply diffs
continue work

as you can see, the only real difference is for those who actually have
uncommited stuff. but almost everybody has, not only those that work on
the qt4 port. ok, it might be a few more than usually, but i don't
expect it to be more than a dozen within the first weeks.

my bottom line is, that the kde project won't have significant
disadvantages from waiting two more weeks with the svn move.
and the koffice people won't feel like second-class citizens because
they don't get a delay while the desktop would have. ;)

> 2. We no longer have to talk about moving to SVN!

that's a non-argument.