SVN timing again

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Sun Apr 10 23:46:45 BST 2005

On Sunday 10 April 2005 10:44, Richard Moore wrote:
> On 4/10/05, Michael Brade <brade at kde.org> wrote:
> > Yes, that's my opinion as well. The gains from moving immediately have
> > yet to
> > be explained to me.
>
>   I think the gains are two-fold:
>  1. We will reach a point where we can easily and sensibly branch so we can
> begin doing stuff with Qt 4.
>  2. We no longer have to talk about moving to SVN!
>  Cheers
>  Rich.

We've been using CVS for 8 years (give or take).  Another two weeks is 0.4% of
that time.

We can wait another two weeks.

I should also point out that switching VCSs is a major rather major event, so
will be rather historic not just for the KDE project but also the subversion
project.  It is in our best interest to do it right not just for ourselves,
but to form a model for others projects to switch, which will help SVN
improve and thus help the kde project indirectly.

I propose we all stop talking about it until Ossi announces that he's
finished :)

-Charles

P.S. Apologies for the verbosity

P.P.S., yes, I still think we should wait a year before switching to svn...