Fonts in a KDE application

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Apr 6 16:10:10 BST 2005

Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> On April 6, 2005 08:24 am, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Anne-Marie Mahfouf (Wednesday 06 of April 2005 13:36):
>>
>>>You say it needs a X server and I think: well the whole KDE-Edu needs a X
>>>server...
>>
>>But it is madness to requires packagers to install X servers on the
>>machines they use for building. In most distros such machines are also
>>servers and usually dont hold any purpose for an X server.
>>
>>What you introduce by using kfmclient i a compile-time dependance on X
>>server running.
>

> Hey! Wooow! I started this thread in order to know what's the best so please
> don't speak of madness or such.
> There is NOTHING in KDE-Edu about fonts at the moment. The only trial we did
> is in the playground-edu module.
>
> So at the moment I don't see any solution proposed other than the Konsole one
> which seems to be exactly what Albert said: this copies (I don't call that an
> install in that case) the fonts (ttf files and license) in
> $KDEDIR/app/data/fonts folder.

Actually "$KDEDIR/share/fonts" or as I said: "$KDEDIR/share/fonts/TTF"
since it is a TrueType font.  IIUC, there is an variable: " appdata" in
the AC/AM system so you can specify this as: "$appdata/fonts/TTF".

> This seems to be OK for packagers provided we add something in the kdeedu
> README.
>
> Am I right so far?
>
> Then the problem for us KDE-Edu devels is how do we get the fonts installed
> i.e. found and used by our apps.

IIRC, it used to be that if you opened a directory in KFontInst that it
would update it.  This appears to have changed.  But, that isn't your
issue.  I was assigned Bug 65123 so I need to work on this: when KDE is
started, it needs to trigger KFontInst to update but it needs to run
this as both root and user.

--
JRT