Fonts in a KDE application

Piotr Szymanski djurban at pld-dc.org
Wed Apr 6 16:01:59 BST 2005

Hi,
Anne-Marie Mahfouf (Wednesday 06 of April 2005 15:54):
> Am I right so far?
> Then the problem for us KDE-Edu devels is how do we get the fonts installed
> i.e. found and used by our apps.

1. Inform packagers

2. give them a configure --fontsdir (?) switch so they can specify where the
fonts are to be installed and a configure switch for disabling steps 4-7

I guess for packagers the option would be:

This is all, every distro nowadays developed its own way of managing fonts,
the packagers will know what to do once the font is copied.

3. copy fonts

For packagers it should be possible to turn off steps 4-7 (just inform them
about it).

As for the users that build from source. it should be done like this:
4. cd $(DESDTR)/$ac_fontsdir
5. ttmkfdir -e $ac_x_window_fonts_dir/encodings/encodings.dir
6. mkfontdir
7. fc-cache (from fontconfig if we have it enabled)

Where ttmkfdir is a command which is available in everydistro supporting
truetype fonts, it can be fetched from:

http://packages.debian.org/testing/x11/ttmkfdir

or

ftp://distfiles.pld-linux.org/by-md5/6/4/643d8b84da8eeed136867abe87cae29e/ttmkfdir2.tar.bz2

And x_window_fonts_dir is where the X windows fonts package was installed, the
encodings.dir file is provided by both X11 and XFree. (Ofcourse installing
fonts MIGHT BE DIFFERENT on any other X Window server implementation)

mkfontdir is from X11/XFree.

Hope this is at least partially helpful :)
--
Piotr Szymanski
djurban at pld-linux.org