Fonts in a KDE application

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Wed Apr 6 14:54:53 BST 2005

On April 6, 2005 08:24 am, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anne-Marie Mahfouf (Wednesday 06 of April 2005 13:36):
> > You say it needs a X server and I think: well the whole KDE-Edu needs a X
> > server...
>
> But it is madness to requires packagers to install X servers on the
> machines they use for building. In most distros such machines are also
> servers and usually dont hold any purpose for an X server.
>
> What you introduce by using kfmclient i a compile-time dependance on X
> server running.

Hey! Wooow! I started this thread in order to know what's the best so please
don't speak of madness or such.
There is NOTHING in KDE-Edu about fonts at the moment. The only trial we did
is in the playground-edu module.

So at the moment I don't see any solution proposed other than the Konsole one
which seems to be exactly what Albert said: this copies (I don't call that an
install in that case) the fonts (ttf files and license) in
$KDEDIR/app/data/fonts folder.
This seems to be OK for packagers provided we add something in the kdeedu
README.

Am I right so far?

Then the problem for us KDE-Edu devels is how do we get the fonts installed
i.e. found and used by our apps.

Anne-Marie