Website migration to SVN

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Apr 4 09:24:56 BST 2005

[Stephan Kulow, Montag, 4. April 2005 10:39]
> Good luck in writing the mirroring script then. Neither does CVS support
> symlinks nor will I write a script that follows svn moves.

Following the svn moves was never my idea.

My idea was that that the content will appear in CVS twice for a while -
both in the old location still used by the webservers, and in the new
location. Once all webservers are updated, the old location can be
removed.

If symlinks are not possible, then we could maybe use a copy instead.

> What we discussed back then was leaving SVN as it is in CVS, then change
> the web server to use SVN and _then_ move things around.

If the reconfiguration of all webservers can be done in a short period of
time, then this will indeed work out fine. But there is a high chance
that we won't be able to get all the web servers changed in the same
short period of time: KDE CVS is also used for konqueror.org, kde.de,
kde-france.org, kde.cz, etc., etc.

But as I said, I am no web server admin. If the web server admins have
already worked out everything, then fine. I was just feeling uneasy
because I didn't read anyone else wondering about this. I just wanted to
avoid that people suddenly realize "Oops, we broke seven webservers
because we didn't remember they exist."

Anyway, these problems do not need to delay the CVS->SVN migration. We can
discuss the best way to update the webservers later.

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project