RFC: DBUS & KDE 4

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Thu Sep 30 10:48:55 BST 2004

Lubos Lunak wrote:
>> Coming from DCOP, we may not be able to remarshall for DBUS properly if
>> custom types are involved.
>
> Why not? The custom DCOP type would be remarshalled as the CUSTOM type
> from DBUS. The KDE4 app would then read it using QDataStream. That'd be
> indeed some work, but I don't think that would be different from doing it
> for everything like you want. Moreover I'd expect KDE3->KDE4 calls with
> custom data types to be rather rare.

It means that whatever is doing the translating from DCOP to DBUS has to
know all the types involved in the transmission.

Take, for instance, the FocusPolicy enum that is a parameter to
mainWindow:setFocusPolicy. The translator has to know it's transmitted as
'int'.

We can't simply place it into the DBUS 'custom' type because DCOP does not
transmit the object length. It depends on the destination knowing what to
do with the stream.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info