RFC: DBUS & KDE 4

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Sep 30 09:11:16 BST 2004

On Wednesday 29 of September 2004 21:55, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 September 2004 19:16, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Am I getting it right that you'd want to add the backwards compatibility
> > support to the DBUS code in KDE4? Wouldn't it be better to keep KDE4 nice
> > and clean and make it DBUS-only? The ugliness of backwards compatibility
> > could be kept separately in dcopserver.
> >
> >  The mapping could be solved by dcopserver registering in the DBUS space
> > as all the DCOP clients (with names adjusted for DBUS). Requests from
> > DBUS would be re-marshalled for DCOP by dcopserver and sent to the right
> > DCOP client. Requests from DCOP clients would be sent normally to other
> > DCOP clients, and would be re-marshalled for DBUS and sent there. Indeed,
> > that'd be a bit slower, but I don't think we should prefer old code to
> > new code. Moreover, even your solution would need at least part of this
> > to be done in dcopserver, so why not do it there completely?
>
> Coming from DCOP, we may not be able to remarshall for DBUS properly if
> custom types are involved.

 Why not? The custom DCOP type would be remarshalled as the CUSTOM type from
DBUS. The KDE4 app would then read it using QDataStream. That'd be indeed
some work, but I don't think that would be different from doing it for
everything like you want. Moreover I'd expect KDE3->KDE4 calls with custom
data types to be rather rare.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer