Migrating Qt Crytpographic Architecture to KDE CVS

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Sep 30 09:43:09 BST 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 11:04, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> We'd then have a certificate management object/class that uses those hooks.
>
> And finally, TCPSlaveBase should simply integrate them.
>
> Now, I have not looked at the current code. I have really no idea how big a
> project this is.

    Sure some portions could be refactored for reuse.  Since [almost] all KDE
applications use ioslaves for I/O, putting it there was fine.  However it's
clearly needed elsewhere.  That's not an excuse for rewriting the whole thing
and most likely introducing major regressions (I know you understand this
Thiago, but not everyone does it seems).  The most important reasons for
putting the code in TCPSlaveBase directly were:
1) it was the only potential user at that time, and it needed to be
transparent
2) there were issues with where dialogs come from, synchronization, etc.  read
the history of the KSSL sources between KDE 1.9x and 2.2.x.

   Extending KSSL to support new requirements is easy, but replacing it is
very hard to do without introducing regressions.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/