KDElibs: KSystemTray: On window close dialog

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 29 18:56:21 BST 2004

On September 29, 2004 7:34, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  I'd like to patch my KDE to do "return false;", as I'm no big fan of all
> those apps which like to keep hanging around and need to be really quit in
> special ways. And it should also make things simpler in case somebody
> finally finds a good way to get rid of this confusing overloading of the
> close button (and it certainly is, why would this dialog be needed
> otherwise?).

many if not most users do not associate the icon in the tray with being
attached to the windows of the same application. they are visually and
"geographically" distinct items with very weak associations. users may notice
that when they open kmail they get a new icon there, but that's about as far
as it goes. overloading the close button is an implementation detail that is,
or at least should be, largely invisible to the user.

unfortunately, we have all sorts of systray (ab)uses these days, where it's
used a general placeholder for shortcuts to application-specific actions, as
status notification, as the primary interface for GUI-less apps and so forth.
because of this we end up in a morass of icons, some of which shouldn't be
there, some of which should live and die with the associated application and
some of which should be perpetual

it's because of this mess that we have such problems.

--
Aaron J. Seigo