RFC: DBUS & KDE 4

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Sep 29 18:31:33 BST 2004

On Wednesday 29 of September 2004 19:03, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On September 29, 2004 9:40, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > b) No-one has really adopted it yet.  I think HAL uses it to a limited
> > extent, and maybe gconf is maybe moving to it?  It all looks like someone
> > is waiting for someone else to bite.  This didn't turn out so well with
> > DCOP or arts.
>
> i have a draft for a new systray spec that resolves the insanity of the
> current one. as it stands it relies on DBUS, since it provides certain
> things (e.g. Message Busses) that DCOP doesn't which are needed for
> something like the systray.

 I don't think you having a draft of something using DBUS quite counts.
There'd have to be implementations of it, and users of it, and you don't have
at least the latter one at the present time.

 And BTW, I personally have certain doubts about a spec for systray-over-DBUS
being widely accepted (I've recently noticed that our (mis)use of systray
seems to be against the GNOME HIG, and I'd expect the other GUIs (that is,
window managers) to prefer X-based solutions over something as heavy as
DBUS).

> so... it's coming. it's just that DBUS is so relatively new that adoption
> is only beginning.

 I agree here. Adoption of DBUS seems to be just a question of time.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org