[MAJOR BUG] g++ 2.95.x generates invalid code for KDE 3.3.0

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Wed Sep 22 13:33:05 BST 2004

Am Dienstag, 21. September 2004 20:48 schrieb Grzegorz Jaƛkiewicz:
> Dunno if that's worth anything for you guys.
> But here's quote from Phil Edwards:
> (from IRC )
>
> 20:42 < pme> The bug is already fixed in 3.x.  It's not worth the volunteer
>              time it would require to fix it again for 2.x.
Again? So it was fixed in 2.x and then regressed??

> 20:43 < pme> KDE has been told many times.  Pretty much every time they try
> to complain on gcc-bugs about already-fixed things.
> 20:44 < pme> gregj: The 2.x source is out there.  If KDE insists on using a
>              compiler that's 7 years old, they can copy the code and build
> it themselves.
I actually would do it if I had the time.

> 20:45 < pme> No other opensource project is refusing to move to a 3.x
> compiler. Formal KDE releases happen so rarely, it's just not worth the
> time to keep kicking 2.x along just for KDE's sake.
I bet gnome compiles perfectly well under gcc-2.95 (and probably under egcs,
too, given that it's all plain C).

[...]
> can't say it's official gcc devel statement, but it surely means something.

Well, it only states that they have no interest/manpower in fixing old
releases. But I've never implied that gcc-2.95 should be fixed, but that KDE
should refrain from using features that break gcc-2.95. That would be the
easier route.

mfg
 Leo