[MAJOR BUG] g++ 2.95.x generates invalid code for KDE 3.3.0

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sun Sep 19 22:05:02 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 22:32, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 22:11, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 September 2004 21:56, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > I don't think it's sufficient to have one developer check whether
> > > KDE still works with gcc-2.95. Actually, the current situation has
> > > already proven this point. KDE 3.3.0 doesn't work with gcc-2.95.
> > > That's a fact.
>
> Sorry. Of course, I only meant KDE 3.3.0 with gcc-2.95 _on Linux_ which
> apparently does not work.

Well, it probably could be toned down some more. What broken applications did
Thiago mention initially, kopete and konversation? The latter isn't even part
of 'KDE' ... it's surely a serious bug, no doubt about it, but all this talk
of dropping support for gcc-2.95 makes me nervous, see below.

> OTOH, how likely is it that there's another
> serious Linux-only bug in gcc which has not been discovered until now?

Indeed... of course I have my own agenda here: If gcc 2.95 support would
really be dropped right now, it would probably become pretty difficult for us
keeping KDE even compilable in CVS (there already have been occasions where
large chunks of gcc-2.95-uncompilable code suddenly popped up and we were the
first to notice). While the FreeBSD 4.x is branch is not expected to live
that long anymore, it surely will live to see KDE 3.4...

So, I'd like to say to everybody who might be seeing this as some kind of a
'good opportunity' to get rid of gcc-2.95 support, there are people out there
who are not (yet) waiting for that to happen. :)

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org