[MAJOR BUG] g++ 2.95.x generates invalid code for KDE 3.3.0

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 21:32:49 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 22:11, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 21:56, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I don't think it's sufficient to have one developer check whether
> > KDE still works with gcc-2.95. Actually, the current situation has
> > already proven this point. KDE 3.3.0 doesn't work with gcc-2.95.
> > That's a fact.

Sorry. Of course, I only meant KDE 3.3.0 with gcc-2.95 _on Linux_ which
apparently does not work.

> KDE 3.3.0 works fine on the 4.x branch of FreeBSD which ships with
> gcc 2.95.4 as system compiler.
>
> The KDE/FreeBSD team which packages KDE for FreeBSD can be safely
> added to the number of developers checking that KDE works with gcc
> 2.95 (in fact, the kde-freebsd team has contributed a number of
> gcc-2.95 compatibility fixes in the past).

Just stating the obvious: Since this particular bug seems to be
Linux-specific (which is somewhat surprising) all checking the
KDE/FreeBSD team does is not sufficient to guarantee that KDE/Linux
works with gcc-2.95. OTOH, how likely is it that there's another
serious Linux-only bug in gcc which has not been discovered until now?

Regards,
Ingo