widget style cleanup

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Sun Sep 19 21:55:21 BST 2004

* Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> [Sep 19. 2004 22:20]:
> On Thursday 16 September 2004 00:56, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:
> > >
> > > KMplayer can use mplayer or xine.
> >
> > Yes, but honestly, if we're backing xine, why not use kaffeine since
> > it is integrated with Xine better and IMO, seems to follow the UI
> > style guide a lot closer. If we agree that most (greater than 75%) of
> > the various Linux distributions do not ship with a decent build of
> > mplayer, why hamstring us?
>
> Because the distributions don't ship with a decent build of xine either.
> Commercial distributions simply can't ship with a DVD player that's not
> sanctioned by the MPAA (or whoever) because the CSS-decoder potentially
> violates the DCMA. Moreover many codecs are missing because there are
> no legal Linux/Unix implementations.

And for exactly this reason SuSE ships with a "illegal-stuff-disabled"
xine. Mplayer was better in overall performance long ago (although in
the meantime I notice no difference anymore) but Xine offers
plugin-ability - one can add the "needed" funtionality without having to
rebuild the entire program.

I think that in the long run you will see more and more commercial
distros including legal DVD players (ie. paying money) and the only way
I have seen that done until now is with Xine.

Just my two cents :-)

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany