widget style cleanup

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 21:20:13 BST 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 00:56, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 September 2004 08:32 pm, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 September 2004 22:26, Ismail Donmez wrote:
> > > Debian doesn't even officially package Mplayer and most of the
> > > distributions offer broken mplayer packages. So I don't think
> > > this is a good idea if at all.
> >
> > KMplayer can use mplayer or xine.
>
> Yes, but honestly, if we're backing xine, why not use kaffeine since
> it is integrated with Xine better and IMO, seems to follow the UI
> style guide a lot closer. If we agree that most (greater than 75%) of
> the various Linux distributions do not ship with a decent build of
> mplayer, why hamstring us?

Because the distributions don't ship with a decent build of xine either.
Commercial distributions simply can't ship with a DVD player that's not
sanctioned by the MPAA (or whoever) because the CSS-decoder potentially
violates the DCMA. Moreover many codecs are missing because there are
no legal Linux/Unix implementations.

Regards,
Ingo