[MAJOR BUG] g++ 2.95.x generates invalid code for KDE 3.3.0

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Sun Sep 19 17:32:13 BST 2004

[...]
> >Why discouraged? This is the very first gross bug that I've ever
> >encountered with 2.95
>
> Exactly. So there's a major bug. Therefore, it's people using it that
> should properly fix their compilers, not us working around the bugs.

This is certainly not a major bug. It has existed for at least six years and
nobody has noticed until now.

Also note that "fixing the compiler" is a far more unrealistic expectation
than "fixing the code" (think esp. proprietary compiler vendors).

> g++ 2.95.4 on Linux is known now to produce invalid code.

2.95 was known to procude other invalid code earlier, as were 3.0, 3.1, 3.2,
3.3, 3.4 etc.

> It should no
> longer be used.

Well, if gcc 3.4 were discovered to generate invalid code tomorrow, nobody
would demand its demise, but silently work around it.

Given that you have already determined a workaround, and the emerge of this
kind of bug is now known, nothing keeps up from ongoing support of gcc-2.95.

[...]

mfg
 Leo