KDElibs: KSystemTray: On window close dialog

Sébastien Laoût [temporar] les83plus at free.fr
Wed Sep 15 22:37:41 BST 2004

Hello,

Lot of systray icon based KDE applications popup a message box when
closing the main window, indicating that the window has been minimized
and not quitted.

A usability review proposed me to add a small screenshot of the systray
in the dialog in order to make it more visible for the user how to get
back the main window later.

I've implemented it here:
http://les83plus.free.fr/sebastien.laout/basket/usability-on-close-info.html
(screenshots + comments + code)

It was greatly appreciated on kde-usability mailing list and also
integrated quickly into aKregator.

I am asking you if it can be added to KDE libs for KDE 3.4.
Since then, every app could call the KSystemTray::hideWindowMessage() or
other method to display it (displayHideMessage()...).
This also would uniform such feedback to the user...

Unfortunaly, I haven't any CVS account and even less skill in CVS :-/
So I couldn't do it myself.

I've writed the code to put into KDE CVS:
http://les83plus.free.fr/sebastien.laout/basket/systray-close-message-into-kdelibs.txt

Of course, it can (has to) be discussed, and I haven't compiled it, but
it should work.

Have a nice day,

Sébastien Laoût.