bug #86756: klistview::selectedItems() returns hidden items

Jason Keirstead jason.keirstead at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 13:17:21 BST 2004

> i'd be surprised if this was the only use case. especially now that we have
> dynamic filtering of lists in use in places such as kmail, juk and elsewhere.
> the patch completely denies the ability to get hidden items which are
> selected back.

Read my above reply for why the developer should *not* be trying to
gett he selected items back in the first place.

If a filter action has occured, hidden items should always be
de-selected by default. A user applying a filter expects his
subsequent actions to only be affecting the items he sees, not the
hidden items.

Imagine you have a list of items, select 5 of them, thenapply a
filter. Now you only see 3 items. Wouldn't you expect any actions you
now take ( drag, execute, delete ) to only affect those 3 items? What
person would ever expect this to also be affecting the items you
selected  before the filter?

--
There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We do not believe this to be a coincidence.  ~Jeremy S. Anderson