widget style cleanup

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Sep 13 19:15:01 BST 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 16.10, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Sunday 12 September 2004 2:14 pm, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > >
> > > And make it default. ;-) Honestly, I heard at aKademy about a script
> > > which was said to help to produce screenshots of applications for all
> > > languages.
> >
> > Indeed, this is not just a rumour :)
> >
> > I haven't quite got it up and running yet, but consider my objections to
> > a style change withdrawn.
>
> Oh boy!  Is it in cvs or online somewhere yet?  Any tech details?  Using
> dcop? Any developer docs?  How does it account for network apps?  Where
> will it reside in cvs when done?  Does it take into account color and
> window manager theme?  Will kde apps simply have a screenshot directory
> with a script and example files that will generated the screenshots when
> you install the docs?

It uses kdexecutor.  There's no docs (nor really any need for any)

Screenshots are taken without window decorations, but you can grab a whole
window (sans wm deco) or a single specific widget.  It will take all
screenshots for all installed languages.  It is not possible due to
kdexecutor licensing, to generate them on the users machines, but there can
be a central collection of scripts that can be run en masse to generate all
screenshots for all languages, to commit to kde-i18n cvs.  It specifies style
in the script, and uses the currently set system colour scheme (if KDE apps
supported command line option the way they do --style, then we could specify
a colour scheme too.

It's not all that stable, yet, and I have a couple of issues to work out (it
doesn't deal at all well with multiple KDE installations for instance, and
that leads to some really broken results when it tries to run konqueror from
one installation with kioslaves from another.)

I need to check with the author about how to fix the gnarly issues yet.

> Other fun things like
> -Of course the docs screenshots would look the same.
> -Automated screenshots for releases and pre-releases to entice users on the
> website.
> -KOffice screenshots can finally use the same theme!
> -Theme maintainers could generated tons of screenshots with ease.
> -www.kde-apps.org can generate screenshots of applications.

All the above should be largely possible, except that you can't take
screenshots of an entire desktop, and it only works with Qt based apps.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org