Permissions in kfd

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Thu Sep 9 04:02:02 BST 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 21:02, George Staikos wrote:
>    Does anyone have opinions on whether it would make sense to add an
> optional permissions widget/option in KFD that applications which are aware
> of it can activate and make use of?  I lately find myself rather irritated
> by applications that set their own permissions, and I would be happy with
> the ability to override this.  I guess we could even implement this stuff
> partially transparently if we wanted.  It's kind of a toss-up in my mind
> whether it would be a good idea to add something like this or not, but its
> usefulness to me personally seems quite high.

Yes, a permissions-editing transparent mode would be welcome even elsewhere
than KFD. The most straight-forward and transparent way of doing
permissions-editing up to now is in (X)Emacs' dired. Simply clicking on each
of the permissions field bits toggles them to the various available values.
Of course, this will have to be active only in fully detailed listing view
and could be improved above Dired's functionality by allowing permissions
changing on batches of (selected) files etc.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org