Identities in KOrganizer

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Wed Sep 8 10:38:31 BST 2004

Hi all,

I have been meaning to ask if you really think it a good idea that
KOrganizer has it's own identity settings? I think it makes a lot of
sense to just use the same identities in KMail and KOrganizer.

The only argument against this is that it should be easy for people who
does not use KMail to set it up. I agree with this, but I don't see why
it needs to have a separate set of identities for that. Why not just have
the same options as the identity setup in KMail, with the exception that
in KOrganizer you only see the name and email? Simpler for the user, and
it would simplify the code in other areas.

It has previously been discussed if the identity setup doesn't really
belong in kdelibs setup. Personally, I think it does. It should be a
single set of identities used all over KDE. Having each application do
it's own identity stuff seems pretty pointless to me - the added
flexibility IMHO does not justify the increased complexity. But for this
to work, we need the old idea (also as previously discussed) that
applications can "attach" extra options to an identity. Especially KMail
has a bunch of extra identities. I could imagine that KNode and IM apps
have others. All this needs, is someone who wants to do the work :-/

The reason I wrote this, is because I just went through some of the
identity code and email code in kdepim, and wasn't really happy with it.
Currently it's approaching the above, but it's not yet there.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark