File drop popup menu removal

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Sep 7 20:00:49 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 19:43, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> [David Faure, Dienstag, 7. September 2004 20:38]
> > What do people think about it? I'm not sure whether to commit it or
> > not.
> >

> Adding the keyboard shortcuts was also suggested in the discussion on
> kde-usability a long time ago. Someone responded that adding those was
> technically impossible, because only real keyboard shortcuts are
> supported by Qt and kdelibs. But if this is possible now (or was always
> possible), then I am very much for showing the keyboard shortcuts.

Hehe, well I'm cheating - I'm inserting the text into the menuitem myself,
not counting on Qt to do it from a QAccel or so :)

> Of course you do not move by only pressing [Shift], more exact would be to
> write "Shift+Drag", but this too long IMHO.

Yes, that's my opinion too - but Alexander just posted the opposite opinion.
Alex: isn't it clear enough that this is what you can press to avoid getting
the menu at the end of a DnD, just like Ctrl+S is what you can press to save
without using the menu... OK this is hard to explain, but really, I think naming
the modifiers is clear enough.

> Alex said: "When do I actually have to press shift ? When pressing or when releasing ?"
Well, when releasing - this is when everything happens.....

> BTW, I didn't know that you can press Esc to cancel while dragging.

Hmm, that's a standard shortcut for cancelling an action :-)
Well, that counts as a vote for showing the shortcuts indeed...