File drop popup menu removal

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Sep 7 19:38:56 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 20:26, Ishai Asa wrote:
> Correct, my mistake. However, how would *anyone* know Shift-Drag is for
> moving? At the very least the keyboard shortcut has to be added to the
> popup menu (e.g. "Move here   Shift-Drop").

Yes, that might be a good idea. See attached patch.
It makes the popupmenu feel a bit more heavyweight though.
What do people think about it? I'm not sure whether to commit it or not.

> > Everyone seems to agree that it's a bad idea to do that.
> >
> I think it is best to refrain from using general and misleading terms as
> "Everyone"

You quoted me out of context! The "Everyone" line wasn't about the popup, but about the idea
of having the default behavior depend on whether the source and destination are on
the same filesystem (/partition) or on a different one. Everyone involved in this thread
seems to agree that this would be a bad idea since filesystem boundaries are effectively
hidden on Unix, so let's forget about that idea.

> . 20 posts from 7 different people are not even a drop in
> the well. There are developers and more importantly users out there who
> do not read this mailing list.
Those are supposed to report bugs at http://bugs.kde.org, and I haven't seen a
bug with a big amount of vote for removing the popup.
Real issues do come up there - for instance I just spent 2 weeks on a new
trashcan implementation because it was two of the top-ten bugs in the
most-voted-for list. No need to google around or organize a poll - the voting
system on bugs.kde.org is the most effective way to know what our users want.

> As a final note:
> Since there are valid arguments for both cases, maybe the solution is to
> make it configurable (and even have the default configuration be the
> previous dnd bindings/behavior).
> The current behavior may be a bit annoying if you mostly move files.
> I will post a wish in the bug system.

Overconfigurability is something we're trying to fight against - if every little
bit of behavior has to be configurable to please everyone, the configuration
modules end up being real awful messes; and most users don't even notice
that some behavior can be changed there, due to the huge amount of options.
But go ahead, maybe you're right and this is central enough to warrant a configuration
option...