KConfigXT and kdeglobals - Linux Registry as option for 4.0 ?

Dario Massarin nekkar at libero.it
Sat Sep 4 17:08:45 BST 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 13:27, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday 03 September 2004 12:18, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> > Ok, now people had oportunity to see how is made Linux Registry on
> > Akademy, so i ask if be considered to an option to KDE 4
>
> The ideas behind the Linux Registry are important -- in fact I think on of
> *the* important problems to be solved on the Linux desktop in the upcoming
> years will be a generalized settings mechanism.

Yes, I think this too.

> That said I don't think that the Linux Registry actually addresses any of
> the right problems in its implementation and doesn't have enough mindshare
> to actually be pervasive enough to be useful.
> For something like it to be successful it needs to be designed with input
> from a lot of people that are involved in various cross-system projects and
> with the real problems that they're having to solve in mind and to actually
> have enough buy-in from the people actually working on those projects.
> Anything less just becomes yet-another-redundant-configuration-system.

I think we should avoid this. We shouldn't let this to become
"yet-another-redundant-configuration-system".
As you said, this project needs much more feedback from us, expecially from
expert people like you (and maybe not like me ;-P).

What about writing a good mail to the project mailing list, explaining why it
doesn't address any of the right problems? I think they would be very happy
to hear your opinions.

Cheers,
	Dario