KConfigXT and kdeglobals - Linux Registry as option for 4.0 ?

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Sep 3 14:27:47 BST 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 12:18, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> Ok, now people had oportunity to see how is made Linux Registry on Akademy,
> so i ask if be considered to an option to KDE 4

The ideas behind the Linux Registry are important -- in fact I think on of
*the* important problems to be solved on the Linux desktop in the upcoming
years will be a generalized settings mechanism.

That said I don't think that the Linux Registry actually addresses any of the
right problems in its implementation and doesn't have enough mindshare to
actually be pervasive enough to be useful.

For something like it to be successful it needs to be designed with input from
a lot of people that are involved in various cross-system projects and with
the real problems that they're having to solve in mind and to actually have
enough buy-in from the people actually working on those projects.  Anything
less just becomes yet-another-redundant-configuration-system.

-Scott