ui-standards.rc tweaks to Settings menu

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 27 20:34:56 BST 2004

On October 27, 2004 12:43, Frans Englich wrote:
> So, a solution to that, in several senses big problem, is coming.

and i'll just reiterate my support for that here on kde-core-devel ;-)

the big challenge is going to be getting the knowledge together. some of it is
firmly tucked away in the my minds of certain developers and/or only
documented fully IN THE CODE itself. it would be great, IMO, if those who
were the authors of or are the current maintainers of these pieces of code
were able to step forward and write, or at least serve as consultants on, the
respective pieces that need to get written.

at the same time, this isn't just an issue for 3rd party developers. we also
need to find a way to transfer information from our current base of active
developers to tomorrow's base of active developers. when the codebase was
smaller it was easier to get a handle on. as it grows and becomes more
complex due to bug fixes and optimizations (both good things, though they
tend to complexify code over time), it becomes increasingly important to
document these things!

as an example: i'm slowly putting together a DESIGN file for kicker, but
that's going to be a fairly long process. i'm discovering that while i don't
know every single nook and cranny in kicker, it's even more opaque to the
majority of developers around KDE today.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric