Using kconf_update on multiple files

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Oct 25 18:20:55 BST 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 18:01, Wilco Greven wrote:
> Op zondag 24 oktober 2004 17:46, schreef Waldo Bastian:
> > On Sunday 24 October 2004 17:02, Wilco Greven wrote:
> > > The childpanel config file names are listed in the kickerrc however.
> > > Perhaps it's possible to let the kicker update script update the
> > > childpanel config files as well?
> >
> > That would be a solution, yes.
>
> Ok, I used the following approach. The update script creates a temporary
> temp.upd file. Then it runs it through kconf_update. (lines 129-147).
>
> Also the update script needs to be a KApplication in order to get correct
> value for QApplication::reverseLayout().
>
> Are there any objections to do it this way?

Seems a bit heavy, but hey if it saves a line of code in kicker I guess it's
all worth it.

Note that it is a rather bad idea to change the semantics of the value of a
key without changing the key as well. If for some reason the change is done
twice in a row, you will get wrong results. Also, if someone gives KDE
3.4beta-XX a try and then reverts back to KDE 3.3 he will end up with messed
up settings. Especially a problem for organisation that run with a mixed KDE
3.3 / 3.4 environment while they upgrade to KDE 3.4

Better copy (not move!) the settings from Applets to a key with a new name.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   SUSE LINUX 9.2: Order now!   |   bastian at suse.com