License conflict for VM screensaver (kdeartwork)

Richard Smith kde at metafoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 14:40:35 BST 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 14:11, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Might it be even *easier*, to avoid all this hassle, to take a new copy of
> vm_random.c from a recent BSD, which is one without the advertising clause,
> do a diff, make required changes (without verbatin compying), and use that
> file? The new file will be a derrivitive work of the more recent
> vm_random.c, not the old one, so all this will be moot.

As I understand it, to do this properly, you'd need to update vm_random.c
white-room style (one person looking at the diff, another person being
described in a high-level sense what's changed, and changing their copy).
Otherwise I think it's still not fully sound copyright-wise (but IANAL).
--
Thanks,
Richard