3.3 release

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Oct 12 13:49:34 BST 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 13:54, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> > Does anything force a user to follow every (bugfix) update or a
> > distributor to provide packages for every bugfix release?
>
> Yes, the suboptimal quality of the bugfix releases.

I'm writing stuff that sounds more harsh than intended again - all I want to
say is that somewhat more time between bugfix releases and a longer feedback
phase from packagers for each bugfix release could help much wrt to the
problem with regressions and identifying popular bugs yet easy to fix bugs.
Actually, just holding the bugfix releases in the packager feedback phase
longer alone would probably improve things already - as coolo mentioned,
_BRANCH isn't too popular among developers, so the packagers can probably use
the extra time for testing more efficiently.

Right now, we (the freebsd packaging effort) are struggling each time to get a
bugfixed released packages at all in time for the official release
announcements, even if there are no screwups and unforeseen delays on our
part - that naturally limits our ability to do testing that helps identifying
bugs that arent't blaringly obvious. I'm sure other packagers must have
similar experiences.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org