3.3 release

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Oct 12 09:47:11 BST 2004

Am Tuesday 12 October 2004 08:19 schrieb David Johnson:
> The keyword here is "releases". It takes time for a vendor to create new
> packages, test them, document any issues, etc. Vendors typically have
> to do just as much work for a bugfix release as they do for a feature
> release.
Sorry, but this is wrong. Bug fix releases do not move applications, they
most often don't even add or remove files, they hardly change the build
system, they don't change user settings, they ....

So if you believe bugfix releases are as much work as a feature release
then you obviously have no idea what you're talking about - or you're doing
everything from scratch every time.

> > They add languages or fix crtical bugs. I strongly opose to adopt MS
> > strategy to fix bugs every 2 years with a Service Pack.
>
> No one is saying to wait two years between releases! Just longer than
> one month. A balance needs to be made somewhere between one day and one
> year. Some people think that one month is not the right balance.
Even I think that. But between October 2nd and November 13rd isn't one month,
but 6 weeks - which is more than a month. But I have no problem with 8 or 9 weeks
either.

Greetings, Stephan