[patch] enhanced file properties dialog

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Oct 10 23:00:33 BST 2004

On Sunday 10 October 2004 21:05, Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've seen that the current file/directory properties dialog shows also the
> disk free/usage from the file system on which the given file is on.
>
> The problem I see here is, that usability wise this information should not be
> intermixed with the properties belonging to the file itself.
> Currently it is between the size of the file and the modification time.
>
> The attached patch fixes this by placing this information below the file-time
> stamps (delimited by a separator).

That's a very good idea.

> In addition I show a graphical representation of the disk usage (progressbar).

This, OTOH, I'm not too sure of. It would be a good idea in a "device" properties
dialog [we should probably have that, which is another topic]. But in the folder
properties dialog, it attracts the eye, even though it's not the important part
of the dialog... Also I feel that "97%" doesn't really tell you want you want
to know, i.e. whether there's room for the 100MB you want to copy in.
(That's the relation to a "folder" dialog: you can see how much room you have
"in" that folder... but 97% doesn't apply to the folder, it applies to the device.)