Request for feature removal: "Double-sized pixels" in icons

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 29 16:45:10 GMT 2004

Waldo:

I don't know enough about the details of KDE's icon rendering to know if
this feature is as broken as you say, but I can think of one important
difference between 'double sized pixels' and just larger icons.  If your
icon sets have versions in different sizes already, then just picking a
bigger icon doesn't necessarily mean that the resulting icon will be
free from "small features" which are hard to see.  If you can specify
on-the-fly scaling of icons, that helps accessibility, but if you end up
picking bigger icons which may have been designed for 'normal' vision,
sometimes the visibility of the result is no better than the small icons
(because the large size versions may contain additional detail, and use
graphical elements that are just as small as the original size).

So, depending on how this is implemented, 'double pixels' may give
better results for some users.

regards

Bill