KConfig XT / kconfig_compiler

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Nov 29 15:34:37 GMT 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 18:34, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> Am Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:51:25 +0100 hat Stefan Nikolaus
>
> <stefan.nikolaus at stuco.uni-oldenburg.de> geschrieben:
> > Am Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:16:22 +0100 hat Waldo Bastian <bastian at kde.org>
> >
> > geschrieben:
> >> [...]
> >> Can you rename kdeui/konqueror.kcfg to kdeui/kdeui.kcfg and post it to
> >> kde-core-devel for comments? I think there are some issues there that we
> >> need to resolve with how the parameter stuff is handled.
>
> There are several member functions accepting the configuration object and
> the group name as arguments. How can the configuration entries handled by
> these funtions be described with the KConfig XT framework?

That's the question indeed. The idea is that you can use the groupname as
parameter and then create a config object for this patrticular group name.
But as the kdeui.kcfg file shows, there are entries (groups) that have a
dependency on such parameters but there are also entries (groups) that have
no such dependency. I think it might work if we consider the parameters in
the *.kcfg file as a list of all possible parameters, and then use *.kcfgc
(note the extra c) files to control how we create different configuration
objects from this and which parameters we actually want to use.

So taking your kdeui.kcfg file as example (attached again for reference), we
could generate one config object that uses the "configGroup" parameter and
that includes all options that depend on the "configGroup" parameter, and we
could then generate another config object that covers all options that
doesn't depend on the "configGroup" parameter.

That would require a new option for the *.kcfgc files and changes to
kconfig_compiler to sort out functions based on parameter dependency.

Btw, I don't think "configGroup" is a particular good name, I think it should
rather be something like "windowName".

> Passing through
> the configuration object's file name to the .kcfg file is possible. The
> group name can also be passed as parameter. But if one configuration
> file/class is desired, this would result in a group sharing the entries of
> all the mentioned member functions. Any ideas how to avoid this except of
> defining different .kcfg files?

Cheers,
Waldo
--