Still problems with gcc 3.4 and visibility

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 00:58:35 GMT 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 02:16 am, Helge Deller wrote:
> On Friday 26 November 2004 22:45, Daniel Roe wrote:
> > I can confirm that your patch fixes the undefined symbol error for
> > init_konq_listview and init_konq_iconview. Thanks very much!
> >
> > There are still problems with visibility though. Most notably:
> >
> > [KDED]
> > kio (kioslave): WARNING: Can't communicate with kded_kpasswdserver!
> > kio_http_debug: WARNING: (12298) Can't communicate with kded_kcookiejar!
>
> I don't think those two KDED bugs are related to the visibility changes,
> because I get the same messages with KDE HEAD with gcc 3.3 (without
> visibility support) as well. If you revert in kdelibs/kdeui  kpassdlg.cpp
> to revision 1.39 and kpassdlg.h to revision 1.41 it should work again.

As far as I can tell the kpassdlg error affect kwallet, but not the other kded
modules.  I have also experience many problems with kded modules not loading,
such as kded_kcookiejar.

The error seems to be that the typeinfo for KDEDModule couldn't be found in
the symbol, but I don't know how that jibes with -fvisibility (or
--as-needed) since I can't find that symbol in my 3.3 installation either.

I have it working now that I've removed -fvisibility=hidden from my kdelibs
Makefile (shouldn't that be a configure option?), but even adding the
KDE_EXPORT macros to the KDEDModule class definition didn't help, so now I'm
stumped as to how to fix it when -fvisibility=hidden is enabled.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne