RFC: Merge branch new_kcm_code into HEAD

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Nov 26 21:48:35 GMT 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 20:34, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Just for clarification: I'm against removing existing options. I meant that
> *if* we want to get rid of the scrollbars at 800x600,

No *if*, scrollbars are not acceptable in dialogs. We have scrollbars so that
our users don't get punished too badly when a developer fails to design a
proper dialog, but if that is considered a reason not to bother designing
proper dialogs an alternative aproach should perhaps be taken by showing a
big empty rectangle in debug builds with the text "this dialog is too big"
instead of the too large dialog.

> we should redistribute the options within the module instead of simply
> removing them.

No, we should find out what options can be removed by selecting good defaults,
clever coding, and conscious user targeting and redistribute the remaining
options. Note that this process contains careful thought, deliberation and
discussion as opposed to the act of "simply removing them"  that you
mentioned which does not contain any of these elements and which I have not
seen being proposed by anyone on this list.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download