[patch] ToolTip also in konq-ListView

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Sat Nov 20 13:40:09 GMT 2004

On Saturday 20 November 2004 13:11, Martin Koller wrote:

> Hi,
> I have implemented the possibility to also have File Tooltips shown when
> konqi is in listview mode (and not only in iconview mode).
> Is this ok for commit ?

Looks good to me. It seems more maintainable too. Compliments Martin for the
good work!!
I have only a note on what you can do while at that, since the folowing
optimization saves 70% of the cpu time when hovering items!!

- Delayed tooltip creation MUST be done. I committed a patch that introduced
this while optimizing the iconview on 3.3cycle, but reverted due to a simple
'popup appears after leaving window' bug.
With delayed creation you can avoid killing a running preview kio job and
launching another when hovering files. You can notice this odd behavior by
passing the mouse over icons and watching your CPU going 100% when entering
on a fileItem rect.
The current behavior is:
  Hover->Immediately launch preview JOB->show popup at700ms.
A safer behavior (tested and working GREAT even on 300MHz cpus) is:
  Hover->at 400ms launch the preview JOB->show popup at 700ms.
So if you enter an icon and then enter another before 400ms no preview job is
launched and no job is killed.

I think on listview, where items are continous in Y and the cursor hovers a
lot of them before reaching the target file, this optimization MUST be done,
or else listview will be slow like hell on low end cpus.

Great job Martin!
Regards,
Enrico

 Sponsor:
 Stanco di spendere una fortuna per le cartucce della tua stampante? Prova da noi: 30% sulle cartucce compatibili Epson e 15% sulle cartucce compatibili Canon
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2893&d=20-11