KDE 4 Development book

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sat Nov 20 14:48:25 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 13:16, Huberto Gastal Mayer wrote:
> Josef Spillner wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 12. November 2004 09:23 schrieb Frerich Raabe:
> >> So, any input on this? What topics should be covered? Who wants to
> >> contribute? How does the whole book-writing business work anyway (maybe
> >> some of the folks who contributes to the andamooka(sp?) book can say
> >> something)?
> >
> > There's still a kdeev-books list, without recent activity:
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdeev-books&r=1&w=2
> >
> > It should also be noted that the Brazilian Portuguese translation effort
> > to the KDE 2.0 book includes updates, code fixes and so on.
> > http://codigolivre.org.br/projects/kdedevelbr/
> >
> > Josef
>
> Hi!
> I am the coordinator of project kdedevelbr
> (http://kdedevelbr.codigolivre.org.br) who wants translate to portuguese
> the book "KDE 2.0 Development" (http://kde20development.andamooka.org). To
> make our translation free of versions,  we decide remove "2.0" from book
> title.
> Beyond translate, we  want:
> - up date content,
> - up date code examples,
> - adapt tutorials to new materials (for exemple the Using KConfig XT
> Tutorial by Zack Rusin, etc)
> - remove obsolet content,
> - write new chapters.
>
> Hélio Castro was sugest re-translate to english beyond the end of work, and
> I think we can start now.
> We are making this in docbook. I maked some toolbars for Quanta to make
> easy the docbook formatting and a engeene in PHP to possibility write
> comments on-line in the book pages and syntax highlights to code examples.
> I can start the english version of this book.
> What you think about?

Andrea, Huberto,

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't think the ideas proposed in this thread prevents that other book
projects exists. Choice, in the sense of different results and not putting
all the money on one horse, is only good so multiple projects are far from in
vain.

The (currently vaporware) ideas of the new developer.kde.org, is simply an
arrangement which makes recycling easier, and exposes content better. In the
case of that KDE developers decides to write a new KDE Development Book, the
result would be achieved more efficient, multiple problems solves in one
blow, and the book would be better, have a larger impact.

As any of those plans advances, it will perhaps be evident that different book
projects can be combined/merged -- we'll see.

WTF. It's snowing outside.

		Frans