file:///

Paul Hoffman / VPNC paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sat Nov 13 16:06:57 GMT 2004

At 1:19 PM +0100 11/13/04, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>On Saturday 13 November 2004 12:57, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>>  On Saturday 13 November 2004 11:40, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>>  > However, the preamble to rfc 2396bis says the specific schemes described
>>  > in rfc 1738 (the file: scheme is among them) will be updated in separate
>>  > documents. Does anybody know where the file: scheme was updated?
>>
>>  Didn't know about rfc2396bis, and I just found a file-scheme specific draft
>>  here:
>>
>>  http://www.rnp.br/ietf/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-file-uri-00.txt
>>
>>  Haven't read it yet :-)
>
>And there is
>http://www.rnp.br/ietf/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-file-uri-01.txt
>
>The latter mentions
>	Some applications generate URIs with no authority component
>at all, such as
>	"file:/this/is/the/path".
>
>Which still doesn't address the issue of whether that should be considered RFC
>compliant or not.

Correct. For a bit of background, the URI mailing list at the W3C
(see <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/>) has debated this for
quite a while. Some folks want a new spec that says what developers
should do; others want a spec that says what developers have been
told in the past; still others want a spec with examples of what
developers are doing; and many others want some fuzzy mix of the
above.

There is no consensus on what the draft should be, so I'm freezing
the content to basically what you see in the -01 document. Some
people on the URI mailing list have said that they will possibly
submit different drafts; if they do, the group can decide which seem
better to them. Expect an RFC in maybe six months.

[[ BTW, I'm not on kde-core-devel, so you may need to forward this if
they bounce non-members from posting. ]]

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium