file:///

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sat Nov 13 14:53:50 GMT 2004

On Saturday 13 November 2004 07:19, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> I would like to see a draft that explicitly makes the authority component
> optional in the file-scheme because it makes no sense to have it if the
> hostname is not specified anyway. rfc2396bis leaves plenty of room for that
> since it offers the possibility of both ("//" authority path-abempty) and
> (path-absolute) for hier-part. Although most schemes will pick either one
> and stick with that, there is nothing that prevents the file scheme to
> allow both. All it takes is to state that an undefined authority should be
> considered equivalent to an empty authority.
> [CC'ing the author of the draft]

Additionally RFC 2396bis only updates[1] RFC 1738 which means that the
definitions laid out in it are valid unless specifically obsoleted in RFC
2396bis. At least that is how I read it...

[1]
Network Working Group
Internet-Draft
Updates: 1738 (if approved)
Obsoletes: 2732, 2396, 1808 (if approved)

--
Regards,
Dawit A.