Moving kfilereplace to kdeutils

Knut Morten Johansson knut at johansson.com
Fri Nov 12 20:05:38 GMT 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>Move Cervisia out of KDE and into kdeextragear. If it looks like packagers
>will have to package it standalone anyway to be able to resolve the
>dependencies Quanta and KDevelop have on it properly, there's no point in
>dragging it along with kdesdk. Thinking about it, most of the recent
>additions to kdesdk really would lead a better life in KEG, kompare,
>umbrello, kcachegrind...

Most packagers builds standalone packages for all of those anyway so I whats
your point. The clue with having different modules are to group programs
which makes sens to keep together, ether for dependency issues or area of
usage.

kdesdk - tools to help development, which kompare, umbrello, kcachegrind and
Cervisia does.

kdeutils - misc utility programs, like kcalk, kcharselect, kfloppy etc. And
KFileReplace fits perfect with those.

If you are looking for dependency problems, I suggest find the real ones. Like
kdesdk depending on kdepim at compiletime. (My last CVS build was some time
ago, 23/9). I think it was KBugBuster  or Kbabel who wanted
libkcal/resourcecalendar.h. The compile bombed when it tried to use the 3.2
version. May be ok now, some time since I did update.

MVH
Knut