--as-needed problem

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Wed Nov 10 17:02:55 GMT 2004

On Tuesday, 9. November 2004 18:17, Szombathelyi György wrote:

> I hope this small(?) inconvenience will not end in removing the --as-needed
> patch (if you're a developer, and disturbed by this behavior you can always
> compile with --disable-as-needed),

I agree it is useful, but like closure and final, it's not obviously not
totally guaranteed-to-work-no-matter-what - why not handle it like closure
and final and make --disable the default and make things consistent. There
will be always enough developers and packagers enabling it and thus
preventing it from rotting.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org