--as-needed problem

Szombathelyi György gyurco at freemail.hu
Tue Nov 9 18:10:04 GMT 2004

2004. november 9. 18.56 dátummal David Faure ezt írta:
> On Tuesday 09 November 2004 18:47, Szombathelyi György wrote:
> > 2004. november 9. 18.32 dátummal David Faure ezt írta:
> > > If it prevents compiling kdelibs, it won't be any good to packagers
> > > either.
> > >
> > > This sounds like two conflicting libtool features - can't it be fixed
> > > in libtool somehow? (hacking the RPATH or something)
> >
> > I don't think it's easily solvable. Libtool generates custom RPATH values
> > only for programs (in lt-progname), not for libraries. Libtool should
> > create ./libs/lt-library_name.so.x.x.x, not just
> > ./libs/library_name.so.x.x.x and link lt-progname not to library_name,
> > but to lt-library_name. Then lt-library_name.so.x.x.x can contain the
> > custom RPATH values, like lt-progname (which points to the build dir).
>
> But it could also read those paths from the .la files, and use all of them
> when linking lt-progname, couldn't it?
Yes, this is exactly what libtool is doing it now. But RPATHs in lt-progname
for libs which are indirect dependencies (no NEEDED in lt-progname, but
NEEDED in the lib which is a direct dependant) are overriden by RPATHs in the
direct-dependant library. Previously this was not a problem, because there
were no indirect dependencies before, all libraries were NEEDED in
lt-progname. The dynamic linker falls back to RPATH in lt-progname only if
the indirect dependency is not found in any RPATH in the direct-dependant
library.