KIconDialog

Arend van Beelen jr. arend at auton.nl
Thu May 20 15:39:44 BST 2004

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 23:17, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 07:52:45PM +0200, Arend van Beelen jr. wrote:
> > Expectingly, this will require some big rewrites (actually I already
> > started a bit). So, are there any other ideas, or objections?
>
> One feature I'd like for KIconDialog and might get around to is to let
> applications configure/override the predefined system dirs and
> descriptions.
>
> Locating the appropriate system dir is currently limited to contexts from
> the KIcon::Context enum though. I suppose KIconDialog::slotContext should
> no longer merely cast the combobox selected item id to the KIcon::Context
> enum, but instead the inserted options should be mapped to either a context
> or dir. KID::showIcons() could then use KIconLoader::queryIconsByDir for
> options mapped to a path directly.
Hmm, sounds useful. I think I can do that while I'm at it. However wouldn't it
conflict with the idea of "System icons", because they would actually be
"Application icons"? Also, I don't think it would be wise to replace the
system icons, because those are icons users know and they will inevitably
want to select one of 'em. But from the other side, getting a huge list of
contexts under "System icons" isn't the way to go either. Maybe optionally
adding a list for "Applications icons" between "System icons" and "Other
icons" would be the way to go.

--
Arend van Beelen jr.
http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen

So if you want my address, it's number one at the end of the bar.
-- Marillion