Two policy propositions for the country list

Charles de Miramon cmiramon at kde-france.org
Tue May 18 16:52:05 BST 2004

Hello,
After reading this long thread, I've spelled two policy propositions depending
of the different opinions aired by everybody. Feel free to correct my text if
I've made a mistake.

Maybe we should move the thread to kde-policies.

I vote for B

Cheers,
Charles

Position A :
-------------

Adding a list of countries and flags in KDE is a potential problem for several
countries/regions subject to conflicting nationalistic claims (Tibet, Taïwan,
Macedonia, Palestine, etc.). Whatever is the political position of the
majority of KDE fellows on these different conflicts, the KDE project, as a
whole, is technical and apolitical and don't want to take side in any of
these conflicts. We will therefore not make our own list of country but use a
list provided by an international body (ISO). We will also take away flags or
at least the controversary ones. Another technical solution would be to have
each user choose manually the different parameters associated with a country
(language, currency, metric system, etc.)

Position B :
-----------

The internationalisation of KDE is made by volunteers spread around the world.
We believe that is the responsability of the German, British, Macedonian,
Chinese, Taiwanese KDE fellows to decide how they want their country to be
named in English and in their own tongue, which flag to use, etc. In case of
a conflict, it is the duty of the local i 18n team responsible to find a
consensus on that matter. If the language spans over several countries, like
Arabic, the i18n team responsible should find a consensus between the KDE
fellows of each country. In case of a change that provokes an internal
conflict, the KDE project will revert the change to the precedent
non-controversial situation. Conflicts aroused by people external to the
project will not be answered.
The KDE project stresses that the Free Software license of KDE makes it
possible and easy for its distributors or any group or individual to modify
and distribute a version of KDE with a country list tailored for their own
commercial or political interests if they want.
cmiramon at kde-france.org
http://www.kde-france.org