Avoiding Problems by Avoiding Decisions

Maks Orlovich mo002j at mail.rochester.edu
Mon May 17 16:53:48 BST 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 11:40 am, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's a good point, but one might do that by always showing a language in
> its own language, in addition to the selected language.  For example, if
> you are using an English desktop, German would appear as:
>
>   German (Deutsch)

Practical constraint: we need to somehow check whether the script of the
translated name can be rendered. Since it's not at all unlikely that a
West-European install would not be able to render CJK scripts, or Arabic, or
Hebrew, or one of the Indic scripts, or Cyrillic, or ....; and we don't want
to have a bunch of boxes.