libqt-addon removed

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Fri May 14 13:05:55 BST 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 20:16, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Jason Keirstead wrote:
> >Also - does HTTP proxy support work?
>
> Yes, it should. Needless to say, it's very raw and not thoroughly
> tested. I did try one HTTP proxy server at home and I managed to make
> existing code retrieve the webpage from www.kde.org through a proxy.
>
> If you must know what I did, I made an LD_PRELOADed library that sets
> the default KSocketDevice factory to HTTP proxying if the http_proxy
> environment variable was found. I will write code to initialise this
> socket code from KInstance (i.e., read the proxy configuration from
> kdeglobals).
>
> It cannot do any authentication yet, but feel free to commit code to do
> that.

In order to do that one would need to parse HTTP header, no ? Is it wise to
do such things in low level networking classes ? IMHO these new Socket classes
should do only provide the base infrastructure needed to deal with say
creating a proxied or tunneled (https proxying) much like what the
TCPSlaveBase class does for SSL support. The ability to decipher the proxy
server replies should be left up the other appropriate handler, in this case
the HTTP io-slave. Otherwise you start delinating the line between low level
networking classes and higher level protocol handler implementations.

Also as the person who has spent a lot of time working on the current proxy
support in KDE, I can tell you that eventhough some of the proxying stuff
does really belongs in low level networking classes, there are many
challanges in incorporating that stuff in there. Anyways, I will reserve my
remaining $0.01 until after I see the proxy support in the new classes. :)

--
Regards,
Dawit A.