When do depricated classes reach EOL?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Fri May 14 03:32:04 BST 2004

Scott Wheeler wrote:
>On Friday 14 May 2004 3:15, Jason Keirstead wrote:
>> I really don't see why a class marked as "deprecated" needs to be
>> kept around any longer than one full release cycle.
>
>I'm rather fond of the idea of creating a compatibility lib that we
> ship with KDE 4 that can be used to make the upgrade path fairly
> smooth but will still allow us to get rid of a lot of the cruft
> that's in our API (for new code).

Unless this lib of Scott's becomes reality, I will remove the deprecated
classes of my own doing when KDE 4 comes around.

The simple fact that KSocket is still present is that it was not
deprecated at the time of KDE 2.2 and 3.0. It was perfectly acceptable,
then, to create a socket and access it through its file descriptor.

The only reason I can think of for other deprecated classes to go on
living is that they are widely used and that they do not "pose a
threat" to innovation and compatibility. Such a class would have been
deprecated only because there is a newer, more powerful class, making
it obsolete.

Actually, thinking of what I have just said, those classes of mine will
disappear when KDE4 comes to existence, even if there is a
compatibility library.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info