very simple devel tasks to do

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu May 13 09:28:41 BST 2004

On Thursday 13 of May 2004 00:18, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Thursday 13 May 2004 00:36, Pupeno wrote:
> > [ "junior jobs" ]
> > I think, this is a very, very good thing.
>
> I'm more that sceptical on this. It won't hurt of course, but I doubt it
> will help either.

 I can see my name near the top of dot.kde.org, so I guess we'll have the
opportunity to find out.

> Generally, real contributors *always* find something to
> do by themselves, and they very quickly send a patch to the project they
> want to help (often with their 1st or 2nd mail). People who first start by
> asking what they could help with almost never actually do anything, no
> matter how much hand-handling you provide, and they generally vanish after
> a couple of mails.

 Real contributors may find something to do, but if such suitable things are
specially marked, they'll find it easily. It's not very encouraging to try to
fix a "simple" problem only to find out that it's anything but simple. If you
want to see it that way, marking certain b.k.o items as JJ can simply mean
"this is simple".

 When I said I'd be willing to help a bit with those, I definitely didn't mean
I'd provide a C++ crash course for anybody. On the other hand, just marking
certain items as easy is not enough. #78950 specifically may seem
complicated, involving working with kwin decorations and so on. Adding to
that bugreport that just writing a kicker applet and using simple netwm*
stuff should do makes it rather easy, at least for people who know some C++,
can read KPanelApplet and NET* docs and are willing to spend some time on it.

 Well, we'll see.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer