kdepim release (Was: Re: [Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up)

Erik K. Pedersen erik at binghamton.edu
Mon May 10 23:41:33 BST 2004

Mandag 10 maj 2004 08:33 skrev Bo Thorsen:
> That would make it impossible to change strings.
>
> 1) kde 3.2 is released with some string "foo"
> 2) koffice 1.3 is released
> 3) kde 3.3 is released, "foo" is replaced with "bar"
> 4) koffice 1.3.1 is released
>
> Now there is no way someone could upgrade koffice without upgrading to kde
> 3.3 also, just because of string changes. Doesn't work, I'm afraid :-(
>
> If a package is released separately, it needs it's own i18n module.
>
> Bo.

Well I don't agree. All these separate i18n-modules do not get installed
typically. It is a question of finding the solution giving the least trouble,
and I believe the problem you are pointing at above is relatively minor in
comparison to getting the i18n spread over a huge number of releases. It is
already a rather bad problem with the extragear stuff. I would imagine that
the mosty common situation would be that people upgrade to kde 3.3 before
they upgrade to koffice 1.3.1 in which case it is no problem. The problem in
general is of course mostly with rpm's, for people who compile themselves no
problem.

Erik